Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How do I do that?

A few of my main desires of this class were to develop a community of like minded people who want to do what I want to do... My problem is that I still haven't a clue on how to do that!


Maybe its solely because I'm afraid to fail... I admit that... I'm also afraid that if I shave my head I'll look like Mr. Clean.

But I want to be able to draw a crowd... I don't know how... I want to start a project and get it funded... So I could go to Kickstarter, but how do I get people (other than my mom) to go contribute? How do I get my project out in front with lots of views and generate interest without putting funds/time towards advertising?

If I get funded, how do I get people together to help me work on my project? I know a lot of people, a lot of busy people... but I don't know enough to do much of anything... ex. If I send out a facebook invite of something - one time it was for free food at a restaurant I was promoting - and 1% of my "friends" even replied... 0% took the time to drive 7 blocks to the particular restaurant and get some FREE FOOD... no purchase necessary, free food! If you can't get a response from something like that than how do you generate it for a project that will actually require someones time?

I'm all for crowdsourcing... for saying, "this is what we need to do - split it up - pass it around - and come back with some solutions/products..." but how do I find those people - I can't even get all 20 something people in my blogging class to subscribe to my blog! Seven of you might pop on if the headline is interesting enough... but otherwise...

I seriously want to know... power used to be in knowlege. Power is now in knowing how to connect people who have knowledge and direct them in the avenue of your choosing. How do I do that? Seriously.

If I can figure those two things out I think I would be a different kind of person on line... But there are so many people barking for a crowd to follow with nothing to show for it, how do I justify "trying things out" when I forsee a waste of time? If I had "steps" - proven "do this" and you will suceed things, then I would definately take the plunge.

If you have some proven ideas give me some direction in these areas:
  • How do I draw a following... infact a sizable following... on my blog (do I have to start twittering? cause I really am not good with that whole idea...)
  • How do I draw a following with my ideas... like a group that all wants to contribute to the same goals willingly... or a group that wants to help recruit others to our group and draw support?
  • How do I ensure a following on Kickstarter, Youtube, Facebook, etc... How do I get people interested in being interested in what I'm doing? Do I have to be really interesting or just know how to get people's attention?

3 comments:

  1. I think the best way to start a following is by word of mouth. Most people don't get followed because they want to be followed, but because they have a passion and a re able to share it with others. A good way to start may be to comment or start conversations with people who are pursuing areas that you are interested in. Then they might link to your blog, and then other people will see it and the cycle will continue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, but are we concluding that the only good route is a slow route? are there not any better ways to catch the attention of others...

    My only choice can't be to make noise on other people's sites and hope that they find me interesting, can it?

    I mean, people who post here already have my patronage, but to be honest, the majority of them would have to do a lot more than the occasional post to catch my interest and that takes either time or something eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going through the very same thoughts Shaun. The connecting process is so difficult.
    I'm currently resurrecting a club on campus, the MMBio club. Some weeks we have 25 people, this week we had 5. A good idea only gets you so far, and the same goes for publicity. We need a combination to gain a following.

    One suggestion: get the application "Networked Blogs" on Facebook. I posted yesterday and got more page-views in one day than I have over the past 4 weeks combined. Page-views aren't everything, but it's a start. Combined with good ideas and discussion and you have the birth of a great blog following.

    ReplyDelete