Monday, September 13, 2010

Is anyone looking out for my e-mail interests?

So I'm trying to do this assignment... I have to learn and experience how to use Advanced E-mail Features... Did you know that you could e-mail to more than one person at a time? Did you further know that you could respond to more than one person at a time? And did you even much more further-er know that you could hide who you were sending responses to from the various parties you mass responded too? Oh yeah... and there's this feature called an address book that I guess you can add "recipients" (which I guess stands for people you're gonna send the e-mail to) and then all you have to do is click who to send it too (and you can do more than one at a time - this is great for my sore right index finger. But these (believe it or not) aren't even advanced!
So I searched what Advanced E-mail was - turns out most hits are for tables and stuff that allow mass mailing and response to be more efficient and easier. If you didn't know handling mass e-mailing happens to be an incredible tool for business (both marketing and management). But that's not for me - not yet, anyway.

For me I just really want to be able to place my picture by my signature - and moreover, maybe actually get my REAL signature in my signature spot. So I started with Yahoo mail. Yahoo is my standard mailing horse for "work." I believe that the dictionary defines "work e-mail contacts" as "Family, Extended Family, People you pretend are Family, Friends you don't really like, Friends related to Family who you really don't like, Friends you like but are so out of your life now you have become better friends with your "snailman," and people from School or your Part Time Job. Real work usually comes with a dedicated e-mail account. I never thought about it but as it turns out Yahoo Mail's only interesting features "Applications" are standard to the account and allow you to connect to other places while surfing your e-mail. Wow! They amped up their data transfer allowance to 100MB....

On to Hotmail.... I love this place... I really like the design and flow of Hotmail, but not the ease of using the email - its sort of like a old Bel Air that has been worked up and painted really nice but not reworked on the engine - I just like the look of it all. Actually with the advent of Bing Hotmail serves my picture fantasies. It is really intuitive to drop in Links, pictures, signatures, Movies, etc... Really cool. I wrote my signature with a sharpie on a blank white paper, scanned it, photoshop sized it, and saved the picture - with Hotmail I just post my signature - Bam! But that's really not "Advanced."

If you want real "advanced" get a g-mail account and go to their e-mail labs (check out the screen shot at the beginning of this post). They have all sorts of interesting and great options to make your e-mailing experience personalized and easier. It's all just a click of a button. You even get the option to suggest that someone work on a feature you'd like to have - now that's lazy efficiency! To complete the assignment I used Hotmail and Gmail to email out with some of the new additions. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment