Thursday, September 9, 2010

"F"(icient planning for) My Life


It's not really a secret that I am blogging because of a class project... that's a good thing though... However, each post is apparently supposed to have the research effort of a solid essay paper. I'm supposed to try to keep up with and respond to at least 3 other class blogs (not including my instructors shared blog). That equals about a bazillion hours of reading per post - and then I have to be structured, engaging, thoughtful, and interactive and who has time for all of those shenanigans?
I'm running at 18 credit hours right now... Bad idea. I recommend it to everyone, but that's because I don't like people. I missed the first week of school so my head is still reeling over how to catch up and all of my e-bay books haven't arrived yet. I need a serious planning session. In lieu of the movable type and the invention of lists:
  • Organize a list to get myself organized
  • Get new contacts (both for my eyes and for my social status - oh and for my blog...)
  • Read up on the issue topics for my political essays so that I can write them early
  • Enjoy the rough housing of my little boys (from the distance of my textbooks)
  • Use the force to bring my missing textbook through the mail like a light saber lost in battle (why is it that the one that takes forever is the one your professor say "we're really only going to be reading 'this' one..."
  • Find a commercial hood and Ansil for free and get it installed for peanuts
  • Convince myself to keep working out at 430am.
  • Eat more Chocolate Ice cream - or else why am I punishing myself at 430am?
  • Find time to be romantic with my wife (remember, 3 min minimum... 7 min max)
  • Memorize Sonnet 81 and read and understand A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Find a baby sitter for tomorrow night (that enjoys babysitting 4 young boys instead of dating)
  • Read Scripture, ponder, and pray - those are the things that I must do
  • Wash my bike
  • Win the lottery
  • Continue list later - but not so late that you procrastinated it 
    Things related to the letter "F"

7 comments:

  1. Shaun, I am impressed by your ability to do all that your doing. I have many of the same items on my list too (keep working out early, blog, read, make and eat ice cream, spend time with wife, win lottery).

    I feel like this is what the digital age is all about. There is too much to do and learn then there is time for. Why are our days still only just 24 hours? We must be not only proficient in time management but knowledge and learning management. Our generation of learners must know how to filter through the massive knowledge databases, search for the correct topics, write and produce data quickly, and still work our way through the university systems that havn't complety updated themselves to the new digital era.

    If you were gone the 1st week of class, I think you ought to see this: http://bit.ly/bBTyoV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew... I surprised someone is actually reading this stuff... as of yet, I haven't posted a blog with anyone but me in mind...
    Seriously, I figured I'd start writing something intelligent this next week, but I'm beginning to like my own rambling humorist self-pity - so maybe I'll just throw in a little intelligence.
    But I'm glad that you saw through to my wider real point - yes I "did" mean to do that. Do I really think that its too much? Yes... and, No. We need to step up to the challenge - which was the hidden message in "bathroom wall"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think technology was invented so we would all have more time to do things (we can type an email instead of hammering things out on plates of gold); however, what I've found is that with the advancement of technology more things are now asked of us, and our lives become even more demanding.

    I wonder if the explorers and discoverers back in the day knew this was going to result?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the insights I've had this year came as Sister Beck talked to our Regional Conference yesterday, saying that we're doing better than we think we are, but there is still more to do. When we compare ourselves to a divine standard, there is a fine balance between recognizing that we are incomplete and understanding that with God's help we can indeed become like Him.

    We want to guard against feeling like there is no way we can measure up. Likewise, we don't want to feel as if all is well. Both extremes can lead us to inaction. Rather, we should be happy with who we have become so far, and try to add one more thing that we can do to become even better.

    I'd treat this class the same way. I don't think each blog post needs to have the same research effort as an essay paper. But it should reference the topics we're studying and make a connection to the present time and to others who are discussing these ideas. Start by writing a few paragraphs that explore the themes of the printing revolution or the Protestant Reformation. Another day read something your classmates have posted, and comment on their blog. Later in the week read some material outside of the assigned reading and write a short review on your blog. By adding little by little, you'll get to where you want to be. It's all about becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you Shaun! We definitely need to be careful to balance our lives, especially with regards to school. And ESPECIALLY when you have a family. We can't be spending all of our time sucking in information on the internet, when we have more eternal things to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post Shaun, and I love all these comments. May I suggest that you adjust this central part of your blog so that it is wider? You can change it under "design" in the top right hand corner when you're signed in.

    I have been feeling this way, too. There's so much to do and there's never time. Andrew and LeeAnne have hit the nail on the head--all of these inventions are supposed to help us save time, yet we end up with more to do than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip - This is the best I could figure out - seems better.

    ReplyDelete