Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eyes bigger than my stomach

So I like food - Who doesn't? (actually... I can think of a few...) But that's not really what this is about.

I have a big appetite for accomplishment and/or achievement. I want everything and I want to do it all on my own. But what I know that I really need is groups that can help me get there. I find this a difficult element. Is it my pride (I'm moving next week and I still can't get my self to call and ask for help - hey, EQ Pres.)? Is it that no-one wants to give up their time for someone who has little to give back (so, when I'm at the top I'll try to get your name right)? Or is it that I just am bad at finding the right people?

Basically, I need your help.

We talked recently about open source, community think/develop, and even about open govt. We also talked about  The Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes and The Prince by Machiavelli. Two opposing ideas - Central govt and open govt. Which is better?

Well, that's a debate that can go on and on and on (and it does), but I'm really an all about me kinda guy, so here's what I need:

I need to break into the film industry (acting). But I don't just need to break into it, I need to blow it all up. I need to create a massive influence and "open the gates" for like-minded, highly-moral individuals to come in with me. I need to create films (I'm talking a production studio) - I need to raise $$$Millions$$$ (and I'd like to take home a good size chunk, too). I'd like to influence the media and our society and I'd like as much help as I can get with that.

Do I: work so hard that the "industry" takes me in, bundles me up, sells me out, and gives me credit and prestige enough so that I can accomplish my goals - and be so good that they have to have me despite what I wont do? Or do I create my own "mini"-industry (kinda like a Firefox of the indie-film world) where I have "everyone" helping me out and pulling together to make it work?

I really like the second idea - but will it work against the "established" film form. Will it be powerful enough to generate the kind of influence that the world cannot ignore? And if so how do I go about doing this? Help me, Obi wan (or current blog reader) - you're my only hope.

Interested in starting a potentially trans-formative social/business experiment?

(Although not entirely what I had in mind check out these links: Wiki - Digital FilmmakingLinux News - Open Source Film Project)

3 comments:

  1. Why not start with a MUCH lower budget and make a web film? Host it on YouTube, promote it on Facebook and Twitter. There is a group at BYU that has done that with Jer3miah: http://www.jer3miah.com/ Maybe you should get in touch with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the people who have been doing Jer3miah. I am thinking about something similar...

    But I have been wondering a lot about how feasible it would be to have a community control the shape of a film, the casting, the hiring (Director, DP, Etc...), the budgeting, the funding, the distribution, etc.

    While I like the idea of producing a "for web" film - It would be up to the "community" to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back at my post I do realize that my melting future plans and current urgency resulted in what sounded like urgency to raise millions of dollars like NOW!

    But I wander with my thoughts and the two are not exactly connected - not that closely anyway.

    I want to make a community that chooses what size of funded film to produce along with all of the other pieces together.

    ReplyDelete