Monday, November 1, 2010

Post-modern world

Wow... I'm Chicago 1871 right now. I've been reading all sorts of interesting stuff and I'm left with quoting a few... well, quotes, from Carl Jung that I liked.



"In [the Middle Ages] they spoke of the devil, today we call it a neurosis." (from "The Meaning of Psychology for Modern Man", 1933)

"At present we educate people only up to the point where they can earn a living and marry; then education ceases altogether, as though a complete mental outfit had been acquired. ... Vast numbers of men and women thus spend their entire lives in complete ignorance of the most important things." (from "The Development of Personality", 1954)

"A man's foremost interest should be his work. But [for] a woman-man is her work and her business. Yes, I know it sounds like a convenient philosophy of the selfish male when I say that. But marriage means a home. And home is like a nest- not enough room for both birds at once. One sits inside, the other perches on the edge and looks about and attends to all outside business." (from "Men, Women, and God", 1955)

I have no idea what to say about that or about how it fits into user interfaces... Maybe there's a clever connection between compartmentalizing our minds and our lives and how we compartmentalize computing tasks?

Figure it out and get back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment