Thursday, November 4, 2010

Are Homesexuals Better Code Breakers?...................................................UNDECIDED.

So, this is a little early I think, but I wanted to talk about good old *GAY* Alan Turing. Okay, that's not politically correct, but its half the premise of Breaking the Code a play by Hugh Whitemore written in 1996.
I don't know why it matters one way or the other, other than its a difficult social discussion, but Turing was gay and was brilliant. I'm also reading The Code Book - which will come up when we get to cryptology... and it goes over Turing and what impressive things he did.

Turing not only figured out how to break the German Enigma Machine but also understood the mathematics that would eventually lead to our computers... I love computers. I can't wait for them to be able to drive my flying car and create the matrix and go through time to destroy John Connor. I'm so for the whole thing... but it seems that we want our computers to do everything, including predicting the future. But there are just somethings that we can't do, ever, (like predicting the future) that we can't expect our computers to do either! I refer you to these two blogs: Unsolvable Problems and this one (too long of a title) from Morgan.

Morgan admits that those things that we and computers cannot know or do - God can... Which leads me to wonder what kind of computer He's got - and He running a Windows or a Mac?

3 comments:

  1. "I don't know why it matters one way or the other"

    It was illegal to be homosexual in the UK at the time. Turing was arrested and convicted, then had to choose between imprisonment or chemical castration. He chose the latter. Two years later he committed suicide.

    I think these issues are very relevant. There are countries today for which homosexuality is still illegal, and others where they are trying to put all gays to death. Turing's story brings this discussion to the forefront, and it is all the more compelling because he was such a brilliant man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate Dr. Zappala's explanation of why Turing's sexual preference was such a bother.

    Shaun, in response to your last question, I believe God has a giant iPad that he used to create the universe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MQ1oMvj2q4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dr. Zappala... I figured with enough crass someone would put forth a postition that says something...

    The gay issue is one of great complexity in the mormon culture - yet it seems like it could be so black and white...

    I don't know exactly how to go discussing it, but I thought this post would be a good way to mix it into what we are learning about.

    Thank you for adding what I choose to leave out...

    ReplyDelete