Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mid-term reflections

So... I guess It's high time I write my mid-term class reflection... I feel like my earlier rant tell a lot about how poorly I feel that I'm doing... But at the same time I feel like I'm learning a lot...


What I think is that this class, because it is so expansive, leads some - like me - to be stuck... I mean, am I creating? Well, yeah... I blog... but that's about it... But then again it's not... I am currently part of a Web-series that will be posting episodes soon. I'm stoked for the final, because I like the concept and I think there is a possibility to create some sort of real world result from it. Maybe it is just a cop-out, maybe it is that I should create to create, but I just feel opposed to it. What is the point? I skype to my brother every sunday... I intend to create other things to put online, but I feel that in the context of this class they are trivial... I don't feel like spending time to create a prezzi on the renaissance or scatter words about concept ideas on post-modernism... In fact, I hold very little value for the people who do... Honestly, Some of the stuff we see in class is like, "cool... so."

Am I missing the point? Maybe... but I can't wrap myself around the idea of doing anything - "creating" anything until I NEED to... If there were mini-projects like final - ones that mattered, then I'd do more, really I would. But I would imagine that I create at least somewhere near what everyone else does.

Consume - well, that's my problem right there... I consume a lot... I need to be better at reigning it in...

Connect... - well, this is a problem of mine, I admit it... I still don't know where to begin - It's like this... I don't want to connect to people and places I'll ignore for the rest of my life after next semester... I like the church, but I dont want to make "I'm a mormon" connections. I like the connections I have, and probably it will be that I will turn this blog into a connection resource for what I want to do (films, acting, etc...). But, while interesting and impressive, I don't think that many of them will care to follow what I'm doing now... On the otherhand my subscribed readers (class members) has risen since last midterm - So I am connected a little better - but I have not done much to connect with others...

I feel very selective of who I do connect with... I just have no desire to connect with people I'm not interested in... That said - I vow to try to start using twitter and blogs and so forth to follow people I care about. For this class it will be meaningless other than getting the experience desired in actually connecting.

I like this class... I just have a hard time connecting it - it really is two (maybe three) classes in one. There is a very real need to teach students the three c's and help them realize the importance of the upcoming digital age... There is also an age old need to instruct students about history and it's impact on our current sociality. There's also plenty of reason to cover history of computing... I think the integration of the two makes for and interesting and worthwhile class. However, when you add the element of the three c's it becomes pretty overwhelming...

When you consider that in any of my other courses (including honors) the homework is also designed to be 6 hours of outside classwork (per a 3 credit course). Honors usually takes me 4-6 hours, but regular courses is closer to 1-4... depending on the assignment. This class is a difficult load - I can't seem to keep up. A LARGE part is the learning curve of the three c's... I think every class ought to incorporate that and make their homework have more realistic impact on the digital (and real) world... but still, as of this being my first digital literacy course, it's just been a lot of work.

I give all I have to give, and therefore feel that I deserve an appropriate grade, but I also know that having a review opportunity makes it possible for correction and improvement which I know I need - I think I'll check out what my reviewer says so that I can see what they think I should do better on.

No comments:

Post a Comment