Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why I'm excited for the final

So, I've spent the entire semester NOT doing anything and trying to convince everyone that I CAN do the whole Digi-civi thing...
Dr. Burton got it right when he told me, "it's like you've been waiting for marching orders..." I don't think he intentionally meant to be ironic, but I had just told him that I might be activated for this weekend to do some stuff for the Army National Guard... All around scheduling rehearsals and two midterms, of course.

As it stands I am excited to do my final project on remixing The Cathedral and the Bazaar because I like the idea of being creative and I much more like the idea of publishing my creativity... perhaps making a few new sources of income - eh? Eh? It is something that can show my 3 C's "talents" and something I would plausibly continue in the future. Now I can stop "waiting" 'cause I've found orders I'm ready to march on.

However, I learned a few other things... I need to start using the 3 C's in areas that I care about. I have felt this whole semester that I haven't had anything worth doing... I haven't had and "class presentations" or social group "things..." Partly, I've been really really too busy. But also I just haven't been thinking creatively about what I could be doing.

Because I have been so busy - I have felt disconnected from my peers... As a result I have decided to throw a Christmas party. No, you're not invited... it's just for the people in my major. I don't care if you tell you're mom, that's just the way it's going to be... besides, the location can fit only so many people... and if I let you come, then I'll have to let that whiny kid nobody likes... and pretty soon everybody will be saying it's not fair that you and that kid got to come... It's not you. It's me...

Anyway, in honor of doing the right thing in this class I decided to make a google doc/group for this event, and then some sort of a social invite (and e-vite if you will. I just made that up, right now...) and then I started going crazy and decided that my major deserves its own social network that can be connected to facebook and twitter and what-ever... Like that stupid circle of moms thing my wife has attached to her facebook account that keeps emailing us every-other-day telling me how old my own kids are! Yeah... something annoying like that!

Ambitious? yes... Unsure of how I'll maintain it? absolutely. Worth the experience? Well, as long as it doesnt end in a crash and burn epic failure, then yeah... I think... most likely, anyway.

BTW - I'm looking at Grouply and BuddyPress.org - any ideas of the best way to go about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment